Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Sunshine!

After what seems like days and days of rain and cold, the sun is out. Last night I mentioned to Mr. Pointy Sticks that this was the first year in quite a while that we haven't had the air conditioning on for at least a day or two by now.

And yay! Chris, of Stumbling Over Chaos, mentioned my contest. Not that I don't love the people who have already commented, but it might be nice to have a larger pool from which to choose. Though I've already gotten some good sock ideas. And a cake recipe! Yum, cake.

We are in the process of getting ready to do some fairly major renovation on the house. Our master bathroom has been out of commission for years. (Yes, years...I will admit that I am a procrastinator and that had something to do with the delay. But it also was caused by trying to decide what to do, thinking about pushing the back out of the house out and adding a room downstairs and enlarging our bed and bathroom, waiting a year for an architect to come up with some plans [she never did], deciding that that was too expensive, dealing with cleaning out and selling my mother's house, finding a contractor... Whew! I'm tired just thinking about it.)

So Saturday I went and started looking for tiles...and that was easy! We went first to Lowe's and got (a) rather overwhelmed and (b) no help what-so-ever. Then we went to KG Tile, close to us, and found a very helpful woman who set up our bathroom in a flash. We are going to have the shower stall floored in bluey-greeny-beigey river pebbles...the floor of the bathroom will be sort of weathered looking greeny-blue tiles. The shower walls will be white with a row or two of glass accent tiles in a frosted, striated blue-green-clear...I think it'll be quite yummy. I wish I had taken my camera with me on Saturday, so I could have taken a picture. Maybe when I go to pay for the order I can set it all up again and take a picture. Blog fodder!

And I think we'll be putting in a pedestal sink. I had thought about putting in a small vanity, useful for hiding cleaning supplies and such, but the bathroom is tiny (say, four feet by four and a half feet [not counting the shower stall]) and I think the pedestal sink will make it look more spacious. As spacious as such a tiny room can look.

We were in one bath store this weekend and I saw a great looking medicine cabinet. Really modern looking, very attractive...and when I got the price list I saw it was about $1,000! That's a leetle high for a medicine cabinet, I think.

And of course, I have to look for faucets and a showerhead and towel bars and chose paint for the walls and...and...and....

I think I need to go lie down now.

The second sock is coming right along. I think I need to do about three or four more rows in the leg and then it's on to Heel Flap Land.

3 comments:

Kitt said...

Fun with renovation! If you really want storage, it's also possible to set cabinets between the wall joists, flush with the wall. In my downstairs bathroom (photo here) there are two deep cabinets over the sink big enough to hold extra TP and cleaning supplies, but you'd never guess it.

Rooie said...

Hmmm...I'll have to discuss this with our guy.

Chris said...

You're very welcome! Heh, sounds like me re: home improvements. I slapped some "test paint" on my bathroom wall in early 2003. Um... yeah, it's still there, bathroom not painted.