Thursday, November 1, 2007

Rabbit, Rabbit

Actually, I forgot (as I usually do) to say "Rabbit, rabbit" last night and this morning. I think I've only ever managed to do it once.

We didn't have many trick-or-treaters last night. Which means that this morning we have a large stainless steel bowl pretty much completely filled with candy. Some of which came to work with me this morning....la, la, how did that happen? Of course, the lack of little costumed munchkins may have been due, at least in part, to the fact (that we discovered last night) that our doorbell seems to have died. I'm not too surprised at that since the last time I heard it, all it did was go "bonk" in a dull and dispirited sort of fashion.

So, here it is November. And this weekend (just for my birthday) we get an extra hour of sleep. I tried to talk Rachel and Mr. Pointy Sticks into giving me their extra hours as a birthday present but they were having nothing to do with that idea.

November should be bringing good things. I've been working in the same Deputy Commissioner's office for all but a year and a half of my 28 year career. And, for most of those years, I've been in the same branch. And that makes one pretty familiar with the subject matter but can lead to stultifying boredom. And lately there have been some personnel changes I have been less than happy with. So for a while now I've been checking out job listings. But the problem with working 20+ years in the same office is that it basically makes you suited for....working in that office. So last week I asked my boss if there was a chance I could be moved to another branch. And there is! It's going to happen. Not right away because (a) the only other analyst in our branch has some medical issues that might be taking her out of the office for a while and (b) they've got to get two people in to replace me (heh, ego boost) and one is in a training class at the moment. So hurrah...new things to learn and new people to work with, without the bother of having to learn a new office's routines and rituals. So I'm happy. (We'll see how long that lasts.)

Currently Reading

The other evening I couldn't remember where I had put The Case of the Missing Books, so I started The Godmother. It's sort of chick-litty, I guess...single woman, with lots of married-with-children or married-and-pregnant friends, wondering if marriage-and-children is in her future. But it's pretty gripping so far. And the writing is a good bit better that Mr. "We-Can't-Have-Too-Many-Adjectives" Sansom's. (Turns out Missing Books was still in my carry-to-work bag.)

No comments: