Thursday, November 22, 2007

The Baking Gods Were Angry

Happy Turkey Day!

We had disaster piled upon disaster last night in the kitchen. We were supposed to make dessert for T'Day dinner at my aunt's. So Rachel and I planned on:

  • brownies
  • tiny lemon pound cake bundt cakes
  • chocolate buttermilk cake

What we ended up with at the end of a long hot evening:

  • lovely brownies (thanks to Rachel)
  • some blobby little things that, if you squint closely, look somewhat like little bundt cakes
  • a semi-cooked (although a toothpick came out clean and the top was getting burny) chocolate cake that, when turned out onto a cooling rack actually ran out and left a puddle of half cooked cake batter on the stove-top
So I am now waiting for the dishwasher to stop, so that I can pull out the cake pan and make another lemon pound cake. And hope that this one turns out. I think I'd better put a thermometer in my oven. It can't just be baker's error. Can it?

Here's a link to the cute little mini-bundt pan we were using. Notice that they do not actually show cakes made in this pan, only candy.

Okay, off to see if the dishwasher has stopped.

Currently Reading

Last night I picked up Matt Ruff's Bad Monkeys. I'm almost done and I'm liking it a lot.

1 comment:

Cara dB said...

If it makes you feel better ... our oven temp is off by about 75 degrees (which explains why I have no had much luck baking in this house) and this year, despite the thermometer, I overdid the turkey and underdid the apple-pear-ginger pie ...I hope everything else worked out okay.