Thursday, November 29, 2007

I'm So Easily Thrilled

Woot! I got an e-mail back from Adam Rex, the author of Smekday. No signings planned for Baltimore at the moment, alas, but I am strongly tempted to call The Children's Bookstore and put a worm in their ear.

Oh, visit the website: The National Capsule Project

Love the running Boov!

You know one reason I loved this book? I mean, it's funny...it's well-written...it contains fully fleshed out characters with all their quirks. But most importantly...no wizards! No magic! No multi-tome epic trying to ride Rowling's coat-tails. (Not that the Potter books aren't fun, but I hate it when they are held up as the be-all-and-end-all of children's books. I've only, I'll admit, read the first two and listened to the next one (or two...they sort of blur for me) and I probably would have loved them as a kid but, dare I say it, I don't think they are all that wonderful. There is so much else out there worth reading.)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow... Adam Rex read my review? And wrote you back? Man... he's my new hero because of Frankenstein and Smekday, and it turns out he's nice too? Wow!

gemma said...

Dear Rooie, that was a brave statement about KJ, and one I have said to my teenagers (who all threatened to smite me for such blasphemy!!), but the books are just not that special. Love to read your reviews, thanks.