Sunday, November 25, 2007

It's Only Money...

Well, as of next Sunday we will have a brand-spanking-new refridgerminator. Our old one is only about 13 or 14 years old, but bits of it are falling off and drawers aren't running smoothly. So we're replacing it. Basically with exactly the same old uninteresting model. The space in which the fridge has to sit is constrained by cabinetry and it isn't a very large space. In fact, I wanted to look at bottom freezer models, but there are none small enough to fit in the space. But this one will be shiny and clean, with all its working parts.

For an extra $120 we could have gotten one in which some of the shelves slid forward a few inches. Didn't really seem like all that wise an expenditure to me.

So that was exciting.

Yawn.

I mean really, they can make appliances pretty colors or stainless steel or move around where the light bulbs are, but basically....they're machines. And not very exciting machines, at that.

Currently Reading

The other evening I said to Mr. Pointy Sticks, "I wish I had a really gripping book to read." I was, at that point reading:

  • When The Devil Holds The Candle
  • Ingathering
  • The Best American Short Stories of 2007
  • The Tattoo Murder Case
  • The Princess of Burundi

(Yeah, I haven't mentioned The Princess of Burundi before. It's a mystery. Swedish. I've really only just started it but it's not thrilling.) None of them gripping. All of them easily put-down-able. A minute or two after I said that, I picked up Jess Walter's Land of the Blind. And I haven't put it down except to sleep...or knit...or buy refrigerators. It's very good. Good enough that I am going to be sorry to see it end. Consider me gripped.

An Hour or Two Later

I've now finished Land of the Blind. Very good. That's the problem with the grippy ones...they're over too soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually, I remember the day I got my first brand-new refrigerator. I loved that! It was clean and shiny and wonderful. OK, I needed a life.

Rooie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rooie said...

I feel a little guilty as my neighbor was telling me that she's looking forward to replacing her fridge sometime...hers is 25 years old!