Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Yeah, Yeah, Happy Halloween

I offered to take the kids out yesterday afternoon to get a couple of pumpkins to carve but Rachel wasn't feeling well, so we all stayed in. So no holiday-specific decorations on our porch, but we do have candy and I'm sure that's really all the costumed rug rats care about anyway.

Halloween has gotten to be one of my least favorite holidays. As a kid, yeah, it was okay. I was usually too lazy to do much in the way of costuming myself...my favorite costume was the venerable hobo. But you got to run around the neighborhood in the dark and you got bags of candy. Then, with a kid who had grandiose ideas of my capabilities as a costumer ("Mom, I want to be a tyrannosaurus!") or who said she didn't want to dress up...until the evening before the class costume parade (if anyone needs a quick idea, I know a neat way to make a jellyfish pretty darn quickly), Halloween was just sort of a pain. And now it's all about having to answer the door a gazillion times an evening. I sometimes think about the people in our old neighborhood who put a big bucket of candy out with a sign saying "Please take one." Sounds like a plan.

What an old Grinch I am. Oh wait, that's the wrong holiday.

I am still knitting, despite there not being a lot of mention of it here. I finished the Poison Frog Scarf last night and I am on my third (of four) balls of yarn in the pinky-beigey-yellow scarf that I mentioned in an earlier post. I've decided to call it Monet's Haystack Scarf, because the colors really remind me of one of his haystack paintings. And, oh yeah, it's sort of scratchy.

No comments: