Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Yeah? What's It To You?

I am, for no particular reason, in a really crabby mood this morning. Everything is rubbing me the wrong way. Of course, that could be because I'm at work. Or perhaps I'm sleep-deprived.

I've started a new scarf for Ms. Boto. It's out of some yarn from Webs. Di-Ve Butterfly.


Wool, acrylic and alpaca. Much brighter in person...the pink is a hot pink and the yellow is acid bright. It feels soft in the ball but feels a little scratchy knit up. How does that happen? I'm doing a rib variation (Row 1: K2, P2. Row 2: Purl all the way across. Lather, rinse, repeat.) I'm not sure it's what I'm going to stick with. It doesn't seem to show up very well and I'm worried about how much it might curl. (Edited fifteen minutes later to say: Well, that didn't last long. I did a few rows and ripped it out. Retrying with a mistake rib.)

I was going to mention two books I got yesterday that have rekindled my scarf enthusiasm. But Grumperina did a great review of one of them here. (Her October 23 post.) Wild book.

The other one is this one:


Okay, some of the scarves are very simple. But some of them are just lovely and very evocative of the ocean and ocean life...kelp and sea cucumbers and waves. Nice. It's a thin book but packs a lot of inspiration.

Off to see if I can't get myself into a better mood.

Later -

Had a nice lunch with friends (see, now, there's a memory to hold on to...but will I?) and have knit about 8 1/2 inches of the scarf in Mistake Rib. And now I'm stopping because I think that (a) I should probably be using larger needles and (b) at the rate I'm using up the yarn, this scarf would only be about 40 or 44 inches long. So feh.

Later Still -

The scarf is history...I'm going to start another one tomorrow. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it was a grumpy, froggy day. Perhaps the yarn is waiting for the right pattern?

Rooie said...

Well, as I said later, I'm continuing on with the scarf. It's odd yarn. It almost feels felted or something. It's very soft in the ball, sort of scratchy as you knit with it, and then somewhat softer when it's knit...but not as soft as when it's on the ball. Weird.