Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Is It Just Me....?

...or has the Ravelry queue really moved a lot lately? I just checked my status:

You signed up on August 21, 2007
You are #27420 on the list.
1384 people are ahead of you in line.
14424 people are behind you in line.
61% of the list has been invited so far

Seems to me when I checked a couple of weeks ago, there were over 10,000 people in front of me...but then numbers never have been my strong suit. Perhaps I am remembering the number that were in line behind me at that point. Whatever. I feel as though the end of the line may be in sight. Or, at least, is attainable.

(Got an e-mail from Ravelry, because I was worried about my change of address...and was told that they are inviting 500 -600 people a day! They have speeded up!)

Currently Reading

I have started, and am liking so far, Bridge of Sighs. Russo just writes such real characters. It's early days yet, but I like the narrator a lot so far.

And last night during dinner I finished Portable Childhoods. The last few stories in the book were stronger than the middle ones and I really liked the final one, "In the House of the Seven Librarians," about a child being raised in an abandoned library by "feral librarians." It had a light sweetness about it, without being cloying...and of course, was perfect for those who love books and libraries and librarians.

The library we went to, on a weekly basis, when I was a child, wasn't an old structure and certainly didn't have the secret nooks and crannies of the library in the story (though I wouldn't put it past the main library downtown, the one with the fish pond and fireplace in the children's room to have magical rooms tucked away), but I can sure summon it up in my mind clear as day. There was a foyer and when you walked in, the main checkout and return desk was straight ahead (and seemed so big to me). To the left was the adult section. We moved away before I was old enough to start exploring there, so even now the grown-up section retains a certain mystery to me.

But if you walked straight back, over the cork floor, past the water fountain with the always-sort-of-warm, odd-tasting water, you walked into the children's department. (The cork floor fascinated me. I remember one time sitting hidden between two sets of shelves and very daringly (I was a pretty timid child, obviously) slipping my foot out of my shoe to feel the floor.)

The picture books were all the way in the back, near the big bay window, where they used to have story-time I believe. I think I could still lead you straight to the shelf where Sugarplum, one of my favorite books when I was small, was shelved. There were small wooden tables and chairs (well, they seemed just the right size when I was little so they must have been small). And in the middle of the room was the children's librarian's desk. If I was lucky, Miss Stewart would be on duty when I went there. She was a wonderful librarian and friend. She knew what I liked (fantasy, magic, more fantasy) and never tried (as some children's librarians I ran into later did) to steer me towards other books. She, at least once, let me take a book home before it was checked into the system, because, she said, she knew she could trust me to take good care of it. (I wish I remembered now what book it was...it must have been something special.) I hope for Miss Stewart's sake that there is a heaven and that she's up there, in a comfy chair, with a stack of books and a mug of tea or coffee (or glass of sherry) and the knowledge that her memory is still important to some people here on earth.

(Again, the line spacing is driving me nuts. I keep putting lines between my paragraphs, it looks great in the posting window, then I hit post and it goes all squinchy and single-spaced. Hmmm...now I seem to have fixed it. Somewhat. At least all the paragraphs aren't smushed together. Perhaps I need to do all the typing and then do the formatting.)

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Maybe if you type in the "Edit HTML" window instead of the "Compose" window you will get the spacing you want. I never use "compose" unless I am resizing photos. It seems to add all kinds of extra tags.

I switch between "Edit HTML" and "Preview" to see the results, and even after I publish, I usually have to go back and tweak a little more. (For example, I usually end up adjusting the margins around the photos so they're a little airier.)

Rooie said...

Yeah, I'll definitely have to play around some more.