Wednesday, October 3, 2007

24 and Counting

I have completed 24 repeats of the pattern for the ISE5 scarf. The pattern calls for....um...27 repeats, I think. I haven't even finished the first ball of yarn and, if I were to do only the number of repeats called for, the scarf would be...short. Puny. Minuscule. Cheap looking. It's already sort of a skinny little thing, even though I've tried to widen it a little. I don't remember the scarf being this skinny the first time I knit it.

So I will knit forward. I don't know that I will do 54 repeats, but I will certainly do more than the number called for. That way my recipient should be able to wrap the scarf around her neck a time or two.

My brain feels kludgy today. I have nothing smart to say.

So I'll let Terry Pratchett do the talking. This is from Feet of Clay (copyrighted in 1996) and is referring to a group of nobles who have decided that perhaps Ankh-Morpork would be better off if the Patrician remained permanently indisposed:

They thought themselves part of the march of history, the tide of progress and the wave of the future. They were men who felt that The Time Had Come. Regimes can survive barbarian hordes, crazed terrorists, and hooded secret societies, but they're in real trouble when prosperous and anonymous men sit around a big table and think thoughts like that.

Sounds like the Bush Administration to me. Well, maybe you could say any Administration is like that.

No comments: