Friday, February 29, 2008

Tragedy on I 295

Okay...maybe not tragedy but it sure was annoyance.

We went down to Fredericksburg this morning to fetch Rachel back for spring break. Easy trip down. I got to go to the yarn shop. (I'll show you what I got tomorrow when there's some sunshine...or at least daylight.) It's a nice yarn shop.

And we all went out to lunch at Sammy T.'s and that was yummy.

The ride home was long. So I pulled out the sweater and knit away at the armhole decreases - all 20 rows of them. And the instructions say that at the end you should have 102 stitches on the needles. So I get through all the decreases and I'm admiring them...lined up so nicely, 10 on one side 10 on the other. Looks great! Well, let's count the stitches just to be sure. One, two, three, four...sixty-five, sixty-six...Mr. Pointy Sticks asks me something and I lose my place. One, two, three, four....forty-six, forty-seven....ninety-nine, one hundred......one hundred and one? No more? Hmmm...recount. Still one hundred and one. Hmmm. Spread the sweater out on my lap.


See where my finger is? See those stitches on the needle? That very first stitch, down near the head of the needle? It's a dropped stitch. And it doesn't even have the courtesy to be more than 10 stitches in from the edge so that I can just work it up the ladder. It's about 2 stitches from the edge. So all the armhole decreasing rows - all 20 of them - are going to get ripped out, that stitch will be worked up to the top and I'll redo the decreasing rows.

I wanted to weep.

Oh, and in embarrassing news. I discovered from a post on Ravelry that there is another blog out there called Two Pointy Sticks. And not just anyone's blog, mind you. It's the blog of Axelle de Sauveterre, the designer of gorgeous knits. Ones that show up in Interweave Knits with some regularity. And her yarns? Dear God, I'd sell my child for some of her yarns. (Hi, Rachel! Just kidding!)

Now, before I started this blog I did a search for the name and for some reason didn't see this blog. Now I'm wondering if I did something stupid like do a search for "Tow Pinty Stacks" or something without knowing it. Anyway, I left her a comment and said I was so embarrassed and I didn't know the right etiquette. I was thinking perhaps I should rename this blog. But she answered and said she didn't know what the etiquette was either but that she liked my blog! (I'm such a fan geek.)

So I guess I'll keep my name. But I'm going to put a link to the real Two Pointy Sticks over there on the right.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a really hard time naming my blog. Every combination I thought of was taken. I even went so far as to have a family contest to name my blog, and every single combination contributed was also taken. My blog is taken from a comment I made out of exasperation. My husband liked it, and that's how it got named. I'm sure there's another one by the same name.

I like your blog, too. Sorry about the knitting tragedy.

Axelle said...

I DO like your blog! If we happen to have thought of the same name for ours, then obviously great minds think alike. ;)

It's so thoughtful of you to link to me. I'd like to put you on my blog list, too. What should I name the link: 'Rooie's Two Pointy Sticks'? 'The Other Two Pointy Sticks'? ?

Help! Have you got a preference, my dear?

Rooie said...

The Ersatz Two Pointy Sticks? The Counterfeit Two Pointy Sticks?

No, Rooie's Two Pointy Sticks will be fine, if you really want to link. I'd be honored.

And Martha, you're right. Coming up with a name is hard! I remember thinking "It's just amazing that no one else has used this name!"

Anonymous said...

Considering how frequently you seem to have to go to Michael's for another knitting stick, maybe you should change the name to "One Pointy Stick . . ."

Rooie said...

Heh. You may have a point.