Thursday, February 28, 2008

So...What's This About A Sweater?

I knit scarves. Lots and lots and lots of scarves. And hats. And the occasional blankie. Not so much with the sweaters. Perhaps because I haven't had a lot of luck with them...mostly because of my own bad choices, I'll admit. Actually, today I'm wearing a sweater I knit many years ago and it's nice and I wear it a fair amount....but it is also extremely itchy and I'm pretty tolerant of wool and mohair itching. And then I made a very elaborate sweater in a pretty, pretty pink. Took a long time to knit it. And I thought, "Sleeves are always too short for me...I'll lengthen them a little." I ended up with a pretty, pretty pink sweater (again in sort of harsh wool - what's with that, Sarah?) that had arms fit for an orangutan. It was Goodwilled pretty quickly. And then, more recently, there was the top down raglan I started in yarn from 100purewool. Lovely soft stuff. Lovely variegated colors...in the skein. But worked up...well, it started looking a leetle too much like something you might buy at K-Mart. So that's sitting unfinished. Maybe I'll use the yarn for a stole.

But I really, really liked the look of the Kimono Cardigan by Ann Budd that was in the Jan./Feb. Piecework magazine. And I have a bag of Nashua Handknits Creative Focus Worsted in a pretty shade called Delphinium, that I bought several years ago for another cardigan. After swatching for that first cardigan, I realized that the yarn didn't really work with the pattern. But a few days ago I started the back of the Kimono in it...and I liked it. So here we go.



Perhaps this will start a trend. Rachel's been saying she wants a big, cozy warm sweater....

No comments: