Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Car Memorials

Is it just the Baltimore area? I've noticed more and more vehicles - generally pickup trucks or SUVs - with In Memoriam messages applied (in a more or less permanent fashion...we're not talking placards stuck in windows) to the rear windows. Like "In Memory of Granma - 1945-2007" or "RIP Junior - Always in our hearts - 1984-2007." I think it's a little odd. And what do you do when you sell your car?

In other news, I got about 16 or 18 more rows knit on the back of my sweater. Perhaps I'll try taking a picture, though right now it really doesn't look like much of anything. And lest you think 16 to 18 rows isn't a lot...well, it isn't really. Though it is 1952 - 2196 stitches. On smallish needles. Sigh. It's going to be a long time coming, this sweater. This is why I like scarves and hats. But I think it'll be pretty...so that should keep me going. After knitting Margot's hat, I am sorely tempted to knit myself something in Aysen...it's lovely yarn. But that'll have to wait.

And hurrah...on Friday, Mr Pointy Sticks and I head off to pick Rachel up and school and bring her home for spring break. It's not like I miss her terribly while she's gone...I know she's having (mostly) a good time and working hard, but it'll be nice to have her here again for a while. I'm sure she's thrilled. She's lined up visits from a couple of her school friends. You know, because it'll be a whole week that she won't see them.

Current Reading

I am having a great reading streak so far this year. Lots of good books. Hunter's Run, which I finished last night, was great. I'm not good at talking intelligently about books...all my comments seem to come down to "I liked this!" But this one is an intelligent science-fiction book that gets into issues of identity and what makes us human. Very enjoyable and fast-moving.

And now I'm reading Slip of the Knife, the new Denise Mina. I do like her mysteries. And waiting in the wings is the latest Sue Grafton and The Somnambulist and others too many to mention. (Well, and also I don't remember exactly what they are.)

4 comments:

Ackery said...

Hmn...we see a fair number of them here, too -- typically in a really flowery gothic-ish script that makes it really hard to figure out the name of the person being memorialized. I always check to see if the person died really young, then wonder exactly what happened to them -- I want DETAILS.

Wishing you guys a great spring break! Enjoy the...um...balmy weather?

Rooie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rooie said...

(Let me try again without typos.)

Well, it's in the 30's today...not really balmy yet.

And yeah, the lettering is always very ornate and Gothicky. Weird. I've only been seeing them in the last year or so.

Heh...yeah, a scroll at the bottom of the window would be nice. "Junior died of multiple gunshot wounds after double-crossing his drug dealer." "Granma was savaged by pit bulls while breaking and entering."

Anonymous said...

Grace arrives on Friday via Southwest for her mid-semester break. I learned at Book Club last Sunday, that Courtney comes home on Friday too. We haven't seen Grace since Jan 6th. I'm looking forward to Friday too!