Monday, February 11, 2008

Oooh, La La...And Bonjour To You!

Kaethe said she thought it ought to be Monsieur Entrelac...and perhaps she's right. Though since he's knit from Noro yarn, perhaps he ought to be Entrelac-san. He's grown by another four rows of blocks today. I am practicing my knitting backwards...at least on the back side rows. Being able to knit backwards saves flopping the ever-growing scarf back and forth when you turn it...but I am not sure that my knits look as nice on the squares where I have knit backwards. So perhaps I'll post pictures tonight - one square knit normally and one knit backwards - and see if anyone can tell the difference besides me.

Man, I just love the Noro colors. Every now and then I stop and look at the scarf and I'll think, "Oh, this is my favorite block...look at those rusts and greens." And then look a little longer and think, "No, it's this one with the turquoise and greens and touch of brown." And a minute after that it's "No, I like this one with the pale turquoise and hint of purple." The man has a way with color.

And, while I don't think I'll ever enjoy picking up stitches, I'm sure getting better at it!

Current Reading

I am on the third of the Fire and Ice series, A Storm of Swords. Still just a rollicking great read. And this third volume? It has the walking undead and giants. Giants riding mammoths! It all sounds very silly, but when you are reading, you can really see the Others (as they are called in the book), emerging from the snowy mists, ready to wrap their undead fingers around your throat with the thundering footsteps of mammoths echoing behind them. Also, still lots of political intrigue and warfare and lots of blood and some characters you really like and others you really hate.

I had to laugh...I had an outraged email from my friend Kat this morning saying that she had to run out to the bookstore to pay full price for the second volume! She's reading them solely because of a discussion we had on Readerville about them.* Heh. All we need now is a plague and she'll be hooked for the entire series!
____________
*I said that someone who liked The Once and Future King might like these and another 'Villian took exception to my comparison, saying Martin was a hack writer and that T.H. White would be rolling in his grave. It was actually an interesting discussion about the sorts of things we all look for when we look for a good read. And how that differs from reader to reader.

3 comments:

Kaethe said...

Yeah, if I were reading anything other than blogs right now, I would have rushed out, too. I love "hacks". Ummm, mammoths.

Rooie said...

Oh, I think you'd like these books, too, Kaethe.

Kaethe said...

They're on the list, but at the rate I'm going, it'll be a year before I get to them. Or six.