Friday, February 15, 2008

Things I've Learned From Monsieur L'Entrelac

1) Entrelac is really....pretty simple-minded. Easy peasy. But the turning back and forth can get tedious, especially as the object you're knitting gets longer. Which leads to...

2) Learning to knit and purl backwards can be your friend!

3) I now know how to knit and purl backwards. *

4) I purl backwards faster than I knit backwards.

5) It's a lot more efficient to pick up all eight stitches along the sides of the squares at once with the left hand needle than to pick them up one at a time...frequently realizing only at the end that you didn't space them right. Run your left hand needle through all of them and then knit into the picked up stitches.


Sock Yarn

I have a lot of it. I just got more of it. I need to knit more socks. I think I may try the Monkey sock pattern in the Envy yarn I just got. I've seen Cookie A's Monkey socks here and there...heck, everyone and their monkey seems to be knitting it. But I hadn't felt the urge until I was looking at that Envy yarn yesterday. It seems to be asking to be a Monkey. And I've checked the pattern and it appears that it'll be big enough to fit my fat feet. So...there's a plan.

_______

* I know I was going to post comparison pictures of some of the first squares I knit backwards to compare with squares I knit frontwards. But when I went back to do that yesterday afternoon I realized that....um....I had forgotten which squares they were exactly. Which I guess means that they aren't all that obvious. Which sort of obviated the need to post the pictures.

2 comments:

becky c. said...

You will love Monkey socks!! That pattern is addictive.

Rooie said...

I've heard this from a number of people. I'm hoping the addictive quality will overcome my irrational sock-sloth. I have a sock on the needles now that has been there for...about a year.