Saturday, February 9, 2008

Look, Ma, I Learned Something!

Wonderful, wonderful class. I now have a great start to a gorgeous entrelac scarf.

Meet Mr. Entrelac.



Come a little closer.


Isn't he handsome? I think I'm in love.

What you see there is three hours of intensive, non-stop (except to get a drink of water), knitting.

Now I realize that I have threatened to send this to someone who reads the blog. (At least, I think that is the case.) But I really don't want to send it off to someone who doesn't like it. So, if you're reading this, and looking at the pictures and thinking, "Oh, dear God, what's next? Crocheted granny squares in neon variegated acrylic yarn?" let me know. Maybe not in those (not terribly tactful words) but something like, "Gee that's pretty, but wool makes me break out in large purple welts and drool." Or, "Oh, that's nice but really not my colors." You know. Break it to me gently.

Entrelac, it turns out, is really pretty easy. The fiddliest part is neatly picking up stitches...which you have to do a lot of so I imagine by the end of this I'll be pretty darn good at it.

"So," you say, "I imagine with all this knitting, you were able to get out of the shop without actually buying anything but the supplies you needed, right?"

Oh...so wrong. Look at this pretty, pretty skein that just leaped into my cart. Bag. Hands. Whatever.



This is from the Sheep Shop Company and is called Sheep Number Three. It's wool and silk and soft and yummy and 325 yards of nice stuff. No, I have no idea what it'll be. It's poetically named color #G043.

And then I stopped at Joann's on the way home and picked up buttons. The hat I have made for S. needs one large (or two smaller) buttons on the brim as a little decor. S. has simple tastes, so I picked these up.


I love the sort-of-square one.

So...all in all...a beautiful day. And I came home and it was remarkably warm (though they are calling for snow later in the week) and the birds were singing...robins and cardinals and a mourning dove. Just gorgeous. I leave you with a glimpse of the sky...it was that sort of opal-y, blue-y lavender pink that you just can't capture with a camera.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Entrelac is fun. But I'm still not very good at picking up stitches.