Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Minimal Segmented Atalect-Whosis?!

So, I'm sitting down at dinner last night and get a call from the Urgent Care Center that diagnosed my pee-you-monia and this nice Dr. Collins says, "We got your chest films back from the radiologist and they say you show signs of minimal segmented atalectasis. And I don't want you to freak out, but rather then come back here for your follow-up x-ray, you might want to go to your primary care physician because she might want you to have a CAT scan. But really, no need to freak out."

Which was fine until I went onto frickety-frakking WebMD (somebody remind me to never go there again!) this morning and saw all the lovely things that atalectasis is connected with...like heart failure...and small cell lung cancer. So, I'm not really much of a freaker, but I was getting a little....well, let's just say the knitting needles were flying this morning. Nothing like nerves to drive the needles.

And as I was waiting for the call-in time for my doctor, she actually called me to ask me a question about Rachel (who is also her patient) and I told her about this and she said, in her wonderfully calm tones, "Oh, I'm sure that's probably just the pneumonia but why don't you have the follow-up x-ray here in, oh, four to six weeks." Sigh. I feel a little more relaxed now.

So, Monsieur L'Entrelac is now gnawing on his third skein of Noro. This won't be a hugely long scarf....though I think it's going to grow during the blocking stage. Sure is purty, though. Soon I should take my fifth skein and pull out what I need for fringe so I know how much I'll have of it to use up.

Oh, and I know I didn't post pictures of my backwards-knitted blocks (and there you all were with your breath all held, too!) but it was too dark and too cold to take the close-up pictures yesterday by the time I (a) got home and (b) remembered I was going to take pictures.

And oh, again, my brother has some sort of grippe-y type bug, so get well soon, mein brutter! And avoid the atalectasis!

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh gosh. This is why I'm scared of doctors.

I hope you all feel much, much better soon.

Anonymous said...

Feel better!!!

Entrelac is a major, major yarn suck.

Kaethe said...

WebMD is evil. Never go there again.

My best to you, your brother, your daughter, your husband, and Monsieur.

Niki said...

Ack! Hope you feel better soon, Rooie.