Sunday, April 13, 2008

What A Weekend

Whoo. I'm tired. We had a great weekend though...my friend Janet came down from NY Saturday morning, braving the heat of the South and the disaster that is my house. Not the best housekeeper at the best of times (I'm sorry...that noise you hear in the background is my family rolling about on the floor, kicking their heels and laughing hysterically), being sick since mid-January severely limited the amount of general picking up and such that had taken place. Put simply...the house looked as though a bomb had gone off. No, it might have looked better if a bomb had gone off!

Anyhoo...we picked Janet up at the train station about 11:30 a.m. on Saturday.


I love the fact the the first sight to hit visitors who train into Baltimore is a 60-foot (estimate) tranvestite.


Seriously. Ugliest statue ever. And that light in the middle of his/her chest, under the mono-boob? It cycles from pink to purple to blue. I'm all for public art but really...this is awful. Janet allowed as how the only worse statue she could readily think of was the tremendous fiber glass statue of some Confederate general/founder of the KKK outside Nashville.

Parts of the station are pretty, though.


I previously posted pictures of the pretty skylight inside.

We headed off to Zen West for lunch, only to discover that it was closed for the afternoon for a private party. We were bummed, but went over to the Market in Belvedere Square and had a pretty good lunch at Atwaters. Their soups are wonderful but the day was very warm (and I had over-dressed) so warm soup didn't seem the most appealing. Salads and sandwiches were our choices.

After lunch we had a nice visit to Daedalus where I found an armful of books, including the Itty-Bitty Hats book and a bunch of Stuart O'Nan books, including Last Night at the Lobster, which I've been wanting to read.

Made it home to recuperate for a while then staggered up to Wegman's where I bought the fixin's for the oven-roasted scallops dish that I like so much...this time I got half a pound of shrimp to throw in too and let me say, that didn't harm the dish at all. Stayed up late drinking wine and talking.

Janet took us out for breakfast this morning and then she and I went to Target (no Targets in Manhattan yet, so it holds a certain fascination for Janet). Then this afternoon we went down to the Walter's Art Museum to see the maps exhibit they have going. It was fascinating...and very crowded. It's there until June, so perhaps we can get back to it.

Got Janet on the train about 5 and headed home where Mr. Pointy Sticks and I cuddled up and watched some old Law and Order and tried not to think about work tomorrow. Bleah.

And those maple flowers I showed y'all last week? We have seeds!


I love them.

3 comments:

Kaethe said...

Oven roasted scallops and shrimp? Yum. Recipe, please.

Sounds like a great weekend.

Rooie said...

I'll put the recipe in a post soon, how about that?

Kaethe said...

Oh, yeah, thanks. There aren't too many things I'm interested in learning how to cook, but that is so my cuppa.