Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fraternal Twins

Well, I've done the cuff and 16 rows on the second sock so far.

I will warn you: all those who are driven crazy by fraternal socks...you should probably eschew Diakeito Diamusee. I bought two balls of this and, while I can't say I remember doing so, I am pretty sure I checked color and lot number because I always do. (I can currently only find one label, dagnabit.)

First of all, in both instances I am pulling the yarn from the center of the ball. And yet, I think the stripes may be reversed. At least, at one point this morning I was sure they were. Now I look at it and I'm not so certain.

And that's because....

Second, although the colors of the yarn are the same, they're also different. ("Huh?" you say.) This yarn consists of two fine strands, both of them variegated. The colors vary consistently, so, for example, in the first sock, there is a stretch of lighter green and darker green together, then the lighter green gets bluer and the darker green goes brown and then into pink and the blue one fades to grey. (Description approximate.) Well, in this second skein, the colors shift differently. There seem to be places where the blue is matched up with more blue, making a very blue stripe. And there seems to be stronger areas of red.

I don't mind. It'll still be obvious that it's all the same yarn. The colors all match. It's just...odd.

Okay, back to my knitting.

No comments: