Wednesday, April 9, 2008

I've Got The Blues

Blue yarns, that is...

Here is the start of Larissa Brown's Pinwheel Blanket from her Knitalong book. I got the itch to make it as soon as I saw it and then The Black Sheep put this yarn on sale. It's Aracaunia Nature Cotton, a yummy soft thick-and-thin cotton. I bought this thinking, "I'll make this blanket for the new office baby at work..." But that was just an excuse. I think this might end up just being mine. Or saved for another baby.


The color is a little bright here...in real life it's a little darker, I think.

This is what I'm making for the latest office baby.


All the pieces are knit, though there is only one arm shown here. Sewing up is not my favorite part of knitting things. This yarn, while cute and soft, is a bitch to weave in because of the little nubbies on the wrapping thread. So for the seaming up I am carefully untwisting the thread from the yarn. You can see (perhaps) a little heap of yarn waiting there for me to seam up the first arm. Anyone out there love seaming? Sigh.

I'm thinking that I'll try to find either just little jeans or baby blue cords and a little white shirt to go with this.

And just to prove that spring really is here...another clump of daffodils has bloomed in the back yard.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Those are beautiful blues, and I love the pinwheel blanket. I was looking at the "Knitalong" book in the bookstore last week, and I'm feeling really tempted to make the pinwheel blanket. A close friend of mine is expecting her second child, so that might be my project for the baby.

Kaethe said...

Really lovely. So lovely, in fact, I'm contemplating a third child, just to get knit goods.

Rooie said...

Heh, Kaethe, that seems rather drastic. I could always muffle you, you know.

Melanie, the pinwheel blanket makes great tv knitting. You have to pay semi-attention on the rows with the yo's and then the following rows are mindless stockinette.

Kaethe said...

Well, what I really want is a kitten. Would you make a receiving blanket for a fur baby?

Rose said...

I hate seaming as well. Maybe if I was better at it? I keep thinking I'll take a class, but really, doesn't it sound boring? Love the blue. I was trying to figure out how to make it to the Harlot book signing but no deal. One day.