Sunday, March 2, 2008

Oh, Baby, Baby!

Shandy asked a question yesterday about knitting for office-mates babies. She wondered how I decided what to knit. Well, with the Saartje booties and hat I made earlier, I just chose something I wanted to knit. This time, with some more advance notice, I decided to try to do something I would be sure the mom would like.

So I handed her this questionnaire:

Someone gives you a baby outfit that requires hand washing. You:
a) Think "Hand washing?! You mean, with my hands?!"
b) Put it away until Junior stops throwing up...say, when he's thirty.
c) Think "Oooh! I love hand washing beautiful things! And laying them flat to dry is a joy!"
d) Let the baby wear it once and then stuff it in a basket to hand wash "someday."

You have a little boy. You and your husband:
a) Want that kid in blue...all the time...only blue. Or perhaps grey with pinstripes.
b) Like bright kid-like colors.
c) Have no preferences at all.
d) Can't stand the following colors: ______________

Someone give you a stack of bibs and burping clothes. You think:
a) "Burping clothes? Do they know my husband that well?"
b) "How thoughtful!"
c) "What are these again?"
d) "Yeah, fine. Not exciting though."

You think cute but silly hats are:
a) Perfect for babies. Who else could you force to wear them?
b) Cute...but silly. No kid of yours is going to be caught wearing them.
c) Perfect. May I have one in my size?
d) Unbearable.

The colors and/or theme of your baby's nursery is:
a) Nautical
b) Jungley
c) Oh, lordie, what room are we putting the baby in?
d) Fill in the blank ________________

I plan to diaper my child:
a) Ick.
b) With disposables...if they were good enough for me, they're good enough for my kid.
c) With cloth...if they were good enough for my parents, they're good enough for me.
d) Again...ick.

In this case, we know the baby is going to be a boy. (Which is a pity, because I really wanted to make the Miss Dashwood bonnet from Knitty. Maybe for the next baby.)

And in case anyone is interested, the mom's answers were: d, a (with the addition of green and tan), b, c, d (airplanes), and b and c.

This sweater is cute, the yarn is very soft and machine washable. And it's blue. I think it'll do. I may, if I feel energetic, also do a bib or some burping clothes.

2 comments:

shandy said...

What a clever idea - a questionnaire! I often find that I get a blank look: baby is going to be wearing labels from the word go. Some of the cutest patterns often involve high-end yarn, which offends my notion of what is reasonable for a baby sweater. You seem to have found a middle way.

Rooie said...

Yarn for this one is going to be about $20US. And I'll probably give a little something else, too. A good book or something. So not too bad.