Monday, March 17, 2008

Alphabet Challenge #4 - Daily Drudgery and Daffodils

Damn, here I am back at work. I have a notebook somewhere with a Mary Englebreit illustration on it which says, "Life...it's just so daily." Which sums up pretty much how I feel about work.

Oh, and I noticed the other day that we have some daffodils coming up in the yard and I even spied some buds. I love daffodils and, in the yard of the first house we lived in, I planted lots of fancy ones from a grower out in Oregon. I mean, bulbs that cost $9 a piece or so. Some were pink, back when you couldn't get pink daffodils from just anyone. There were miniature ones and ones with very reflexive petals. Gorgeous.

So we moved out to the house in the suburbs and the first two or three years I planted more fancy daffodils...and I swear the yard ate them! Well, something got to them. Some of them would come up for the first year in a rather sickly fashion and then never show up again. Others would never show up. So we don't have as many daffodils as I would like...fortunately day-lilies seem to thrive. So there will be lots of those later in the year.

I've brought in the baby sweater to work on. It was a toss-up between that and the purple cardigan but I'm in the middle of a row of the baby sweater (interrupted by dinner), ripping back because I seem to have screwed up somewhere. So I thought that ought to be the one to come to work with me.

Mr. Pointy Sticks and I watched Dan In Real Life last night. Charming movie. But then I really, really like Steve Carrell. He does quiet desperation so well.

More later, perhaps, when my brain is working.

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Desperation! Love Steve Carrell.

I've found that hybrid bulbs just don't do very well for year-after-year performance. But the species tulips (e.g. Darwins) and daffodils are very good for naturalizing.

Rooie said...

These bulb, even though hybrids, when planted in the yard in Baltimore, did wonderfully. Multiplied like mad. The backyard was about the size of a postage stamp and it was crammed with daffs. Sigh. With the dogwood tree, the yard was really pretty in the spring. The guy who bought the house after us cut down the dogwood. And I'm sure was not kind to the daffodils. He was a jerk.