Thursday, March 27, 2008

Alphabet Challenge #14 - Of Needles, Need and Empty-Nesting

(Hey, what's up? I just posted this...7:30 a.m. on Thursday March 27th and it's dating it March 26th! Okay, I'm going to copy and paste it...which means I can't add the pictures until I get home this evening. I think opening this post up and throwing the pictures in last night made it date to yesterday. Grr...)

I was almost stumped coming up with a post for N...for some reason I kept focusing on Noro, but I just did Kureyon and that's really my favorite Noro. This challenge requires more thought than I expected...But some helpful friends saved me from having nothing.

First of all, does anyone out there have any idea what needles these are?



Here's a closeup of the ends.



They are my favorite needles. And I have no idea what the brand is. They are the only ones I have like this... They have the perfect ratio of smoothness to grip. There are some yarns too slick to grab on but for most yarns they are perfect. They have a good weight. I asked this earlier in the blog, I think, but I may not have actually had anyone reading it but me at that point.
If I can't use these for some reason (like I need to use something other than a size 6) I'd have to say that my needles of choice tend to be wood or bamboo.

But here are some nice looking needles. I bet they feel good, too.

Now, here's a question...or rather, another question. Why is it that, with bags of yarn strewn around the house, I cannot keep away from Webs and elann and Loopy Ewe? I keep cruisin' the sale stuff, drooling over the new stuff. Sigh. I don't need any more yarn...and yet somehow it still keeps finding a way into the house.

Finally...you know what? This empty-nest business...not really so bad. In a way. I mean, the first time we dropped Rachel off at college I cried all the way home. Couldn't settle down for weeks. This year, partly because I knew she was happier, it was all much easier. And it's nice just having me and Mr. Pointy Sticks in the house...well, along with the cats.

On the other hand, Rachel found her way home on Easter weekend and it was really nice* (if a little expensive...Hi, Rachel! Love your new wardrobe!) having her home...the last afternoon the three of us were all sitting in the living room, each of us reading our own book....it was very companionable...and very nice to look up and see her sitting there.

____________

* Well, except for the fact that she has this bizarre desire to cook all the time...where did she get that from?! (I am so not a cook.)

2 comments:

Kitt said...

Very nice.

Blogger dates/times posts from when you create them, so if you started working on the post the night before, you can click on "Post Options" at the bottom of the posting box to change the time and date. No need to create a new post.

(Also, if you want to re-use a photo from a previous post, just open that post and copy the photo coding from there into your new post. No need to re-upload.)

Rooie said...

Oooh, you have the skillz.

I'll try to remember this...