Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Impulse Purchase

So, like millions of people out there, I get the weekly emails from Herschnerr's, telling me all about what delightful novelty yarn they have on sale. Usually dreck. But this morning's mail was all about stuff that they "found during inventory." Which included 11 skeins of Noro Kureyon in a good color combination, which they had priced at $4.97. What a deal! I threw them in the cart immediately. Now to see if I got them or if someone else had beaten me to it. Could make a really nice Clapotis. Or a Lady Eleanor. Or a vest....

But...nice deal, right? Tell me I'm right. I'm feeling a little guilty, here.

Margot is visiting with us for a few days, saving Rachel from terminal boredom during her spring break. It's interesting...Margot drives, and loves driving. So they are running out to the store while we're gone. Yesterday they ran down to the mall for some shopping. At 9 o'clock last night they went out, with a "I have my key. We'll be back!" and went to the diner down on York Road. It's just so...young adult. I love it. (Though it would have been nice to tell your parents where it was you were going when you went out last night. Hem hem.)

Knitting...the back of the cardigan is close to the neck division...therefore close to done. (Heh. I spread the back out on the couch last night to measure the length and Gizmo arose from his nap, walked over, sniffed the sweater for a second and then curled up on top of it and started purring. And shedding, of course. Thanks, bud.) The scarves (Oak Leaf and Son of Serpentina) are moving along slowly. (Perhaps because....I'm not really working on them! Do ya think?!) The baby sweater is calling me but I really want to finish one of these scarves before I start another project. But there isn't much exciting to take pictures of.

Current Reading

Well, after a string of really good reads, I seem to have hit a slump. I finished the Denise Mina. It seemed a lot less lean then the earlier books. Less edited maybe. And I really disliked something that Paddy Meehan does at the end of the book. It left a bad taste in my mouth and I think I might be reluctant to pick up the next Mina.

Then I read a slight YA novel called Just In Case, by Meg Rosoff. A cover blurb compares it to Catcher in the Rye. It's not that good. Or my appreciation of self-obsessed, morose, clueless teenagers is missing. Though the cover of the book is really nice. Some of the leave are satiny-metallic. Too bad the contents aren't as appealing.

Next, I've started Martha Grimes' latest, Dakota. So far I have to say....eh. (It's a sequel to Biting the Moon, which, come to think of it, I don't think I liked that much either.) I put it down with about a third read and picked up Making It Up As I Go Along, a book I got at Daedalus a couple of weeks ago. It's also fairly eh. Female reporter with brand new baby leaves Sierra Leone and her lover (who doesn't know about the baby) to come home to LA, where she has been left a $5-10 million property by the woman who raised her and whose natural son is trying to get the property. Scenes of brutality in Sierra Leone alternate with lunches in Beverly Hills...and not in a good way.

Perhaps I need to start Red Seas Under Red Skies.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got no such e-mail! Good thing, because I'm packing the house like a madwoman and any incoming boxes would likely end up lost in the piles of rubble that seem to be popping up; right now my house looks like it was decorated by Aunt Sylvie.

But I digress. Great score, Rooie!

Ackery said...

The Noro was a great deal, and you would have loathed yourself in the morning if you hadn't gone ahead and snatched it up. Nice work, my dear.