Sunday, March 30, 2008

Alphabet Challenge #17 - Questions, Questions

When Rachel was somewhere between one and two years of age, we were getting her out of the bath one evening and having the usual sort of conversation, "Was that a nice bath? Are you all warm? Let me wrap you up in the towel. Is that nice? What book would you like to read?" There was no reply and finally she trotted off, muttering to herself "Questions, questions. They're always asking me questions!"

So here are some more questions -

1) Qivuit - Sure it's supposed to be nice. But would you pay $80 for enough to make a hat!? $83 for 200+ yards? I was in a shop last summer and they had a 400 yard skein of qiviut/merino for $75...it was tan. It was soft. But I didn't feel any need to pull out my wallet.

2) Quiet - Why do people assume that everyone wants to hear their cell phone conversations? I understand that there is a reason that people speak louder...that they don't get the customary feedback into their own ears as to their voice levels...but man, I've heard discussions carried on in the middle of the grocery store that make my ears turn red.

3) Quits - Can this really be the end of Readerville? More about this tomorrow, as I am still getting my head wrapped around it (oh, and it'll fit nicely with R), but it looks as though the lovely eight years we've had (thanks to Karen Templer) may be coming to an end. I feel as though I've lost the roof over my head.

And non-questions...

1) Quiescently frozen - I always loved reading this phrase on my popsicles when I was little. It conjured up visions of little popsicles lying quietly, perhaps with little covers pulled up to their chins, freezing slowly.

2) Querulous - Why am I so cranky? Well, I'm still sick. I am wondering if Mr. Pointy Sticks and I haven't been suffering from a mild case of the flu. Bad aches. I mean, I feel as though every muscle in my body has been not-so-gently massaged with a spiked baseball bat. But no real fever...actually, Mr. Pointy Sticks said that I felt pretty hot last night but I was too lazy to get out of bed to get the thermometer. It sucks, though, and explains my crankiness a little.

Current Reading

I finished my second (his third) Stuart MacBride mystery this morning. Called Bloodshot. Pretty good. Just got my third one (his second) out of the library this afternoon. I also got out of the library Scott Smith's The Ruins and I've started that.

And yesterday I bought Mary Roach's latest, entitled Bonk (love the cover), and I've started that one, too.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What? WHAT? WHAT'S THIS ABOUT READERVILLE?

I will be so sad if that's true.

Oh, I really want to read Bonk. I saw her give a presentation a year and a half ago, and she's as funny in person as she is in her writing.

Readerville??