Sunday, March 16, 2008

Alphabet Challenge #3 - Cabling My Cardigan


My Kimono Style cardigan is coming right along. This has, as you can maybe see in the picture, cables along the bottom edges of back, fronts and sleeves, as well as wider cables all up the front. (Nicely reverse twisted, too.) I am doing the cabling without a cable needle...just letting the stitches drop and then picking them up in the right order to make them twist. There are video instructions for this out on the Web. This yarn has both good and bad qualities for doing this. It's a slightly hairy wool, so the stitches cling to one another nicely, meaning they won't run away as soon as they are dropped. But the yarn is a single ply, rather loosely spun, so picking up the dropped stitches and making sure that they are all back on the needles in their entirety...that is sometimes a little tricky. It wasn't too bad with the four-stitch cables, but I may have to break down and use a cable needle for the six-stitch cables running up the fronts.

The color seems to be showing up pretty well here...a rich deep purple.

(Rachel says she hates the bolding. Sorry, toots, 23 more days of it.)

Other than the knitting, not much going on here today. Grocery shopping will have to take place. I really should clean our bathroom.

Yawn. There might even be a nap.

Current Reading

Appropriately for today's post, I happen to be reading Richard Price's Clockers. It's about a New Jersey town, near NYC, and the police and drug dealers there. Chapters alternate between the cops and one (street-level-but-maybe-moving-up) dealer in particular, Strike. It's horrifically fascinating. I'm sure the slang is out of date, but I wonder how much the day-to-day life of these sorts of people - dealers, cops, users - has changed.

I got interested in this book because I heard an interview with Price on Fresh Air, and then read another interview with him on line. He was actually talking more about his work on The Wire and about his latest book, Lush Life. Sounded good so I thought I would start with his first.

No comments: