Friday, December 7, 2007

Shrub: Sudden Surge in Popularity

At least in the Pointy Sticks household. The man has finally done something right. He signed an Executive Order giving Federal employees Christmas Eve as a holiday. (Though I wouldn't be surprised if Cheney was standing behind him reminding him in what order the letters went...."That's B. Good. Now U.....S....almost done.....H. Nice job! No, Mr. President, don't eat the crayon. Have this pretzel.") It's the sensible thing to do, anyway. With Christmas on a Tuesday, I think there were only about 3 people who were actually planning to be here on that Monday. (Two of them being Mr. Pointy Sticks and me...I've never minded too much coming in on C. Eve...it was always dead quiet and we were frequently released early anyway.) The government will actually save a good bit of money by not opening the offices...no heat, lights, computers...and heaven knows, the government needs to save every penny it can. After all, the Social Security trust funds won't last forever.

Maybe I'll spend the day making cookies with Rachel.

So yay...four day weekend!

My aunt's scarf is trundling along and seems to me to be looking more blue and slightly less pink. This Bollicine Etoile is really nice soft yarn. (Available at Webs. Closeout! Cheap!) So often mohairy yarns are itchy and prickly. But this is nice, even up around the face. Which is good, since that's where the scarf will be.

Last night my eye was caught by this yarn, sitting patiently beside my computer:


Which is ever-so-much-more a luscious, deep, rich poison green than it looks here. And I really wanted to grab it and start something. It's going to be a scarf for another Readerville friend but there is no reason to start it now. It's just the lure of the new. So I am valiantly controlling myself. But I have to admit I fondled it a bit last night. You know. Just to say hello.

Oh, and the pink chevron scarf made it safely to its new home and its owner sent me a nice thank you email. She seems happy with it. Good to know.

1 comment:

Cara dB said...

Crayons are for siging documents, pretzels are for choking on.

But congratulations on the holiday, hurrah! I'm taking that day off too.