Monday, December 10, 2007

Sauna

Thank heavens for layers. It is steamy hot here at work today. One of the staff directors who has a closed office rather than a cube, was inviting people into his office to feel his desk....the actual desk was hot. I was wearing a cashmere sweater with a long sleeved Chico's top underneath and I went into the lady's room before lunch and slithered out of the Chico's top. Somewhat better.

Well, Rachel has her acceptance to University of Mary Washington for the spring semester. Yay! (I really thought she would...but it's nice to know for sure.) I am so hoping that going there will give her a taste of how much fun college can be. It'll help, I think, that her good friend Margot is there. Margot likes it, so I am hoping Rachel will too, even if she does decide to leave after a year or so and transfer to the School of Visual Arts. Now, to find out when the semester actually starts.

But, gee, this has really made my day!

I am still working away at my aunt's scarf. I've finished the first ball of yarn and may only make it two skeins long, as my aunt is a somewhat tiny person.

And I finished my dad's hat. Shhh...it's for Christmas. (My dad and step-mom know about the blog but I don't think they read it, as they have the impression that it's all about knitting. Of course, if they do read it then there is one Christmas surprise ruined.)

Current Reading

I started, and am about half-way through, Peter Hoeg's The Quiet Girl. I really loved Smilla's Sense of Snow, even though, yes, the ending was sort of weak. And I tried one of his others (Borderliners) and just couldn't get into it at all. The Quiet Girl is a strange one...the main character has a hyperacute sense of hearing. To the point of being able to hear people's emotions. He gets involved in protecting some children who can, apparently, stop time. Time jumps around a lot in this novel and, though I'm usually fine with that kind of jumping about, this time I am having trouble at times figuring out exactly when we are. But the book is still keeping me enthralled. I don't know if it'll be one of the year's best but I'll finish it at least.

Oh, and I finished Hyperion this weekend. Eh. I realize that it's the first of two, but I thought there would be a little more closure than there was. It was all a big buildup for the second book. But I don't think I liked it enough to get the second one and find out what happened to the characters.

No comments: