Friday, December 28, 2007

In Which We Are Very Productive...

Well, this was a busy little day...

My brother came over a little before noon and we made Green Papaya Salad together. And now the whole house smells like garlic and lime....and every time you open the fridge you get a new jolt of the smell. Man, seriously yummy.

Then we started the Chocolate Malt Sandwich cookies from Martha Stewart's Holiday 2006 cookie book. They are fairly labor intensive. You make the cookies first and let them cool (and they spread like crazy when they cook). Then you make up the filling of butter, cream cheese, half and half, semi-sweet chocolate and perhaps other calorie heavy items I am forgetting. Then you chill that and then beat it and then layer it between the cookies. And man, talk about rich! One cookie will do you for dessert. They are tasty but, as I said, sort of a lot of work for the cookie.

My brother headed over to his sweetie's house after we got the filling made and put in the fridge to chill. So I waited the half an hour and then built all the cookies. Sat down about 4:45 and started a hat for Rachel. The Hannah pattern from MagKnits. Got a chunk of that done and then Mr. Pointy Sticks and I headed over to Yamato for some dinner. Came back and by 7:30 the hat was done...except for putting on some buttons, which I will have to buy tomorrow. It's knit from Misti Alpaca Chunky (100% baby alpaca) and boy, is it amazingly soft. I'd like something out of it for myself.


It's darker than it appears in this picture...but full of colors when you look up close.

About the time I was finishing up the hat, my brother (whose sweetie was going out with a friend) came back and we whipped up the Lime Meltaways, also from the 2006 Holiday book. The dough has to chill for at least an hour and then we can slice it and bake it. Or, as is more likely, do it tomorrow. My brother went home after we got the dough in the fridge to chill.

Now....what can I knit? I started the hat for a new project and it's done. Maybe I'll pick up the baby blanket I'm working on.

Or maybe I'll go to bed.

No comments: