Thursday, December 6, 2007

Christmas, You Say?

I turned to Mr. Pointy Sticks in the car on the way to work this morning and said, "You know, there are less than three weeks until Christmas. And I have hardly anything bought for people and I haven't done my cards and I have a Secret Santa swap I have to get done. And you know what?"

"What?" said Mr. Pointy Sticks, who knows a cue when he hears one.

"I just don't care. I'm not stressed about it. I'll do what I'll do. And that's it." I said.

The scarf for my aunt? If it gets done, great. If not, I'll show it to her and tell her she'll get it soon. The hat for my dad? Ditto. Christmas cards? Eh, think of the money I'll save...the cards I have aren't going anywhere and will seem fresher next year. (Besides, I haven't gotten any cards yet...I wonder if everyone feels the way I do?) I'll probably write notes to a couple of people but if they aren't sent before Christmas, so be it. And I am thinking that a couple of my cousins might like some fingerless mitts...but they'll probably be done after Christmas unless I really get a bee in my bonnet.

I just can't get excited.

Oh God, does that mean I'm all grown-up?

6 comments:

Mary Lou said...

I am with you 100 percent. I just get get all excited. What gets done, gets done.

Anonymous said...

I know a cousin who would like some fingerless mitts....

Rooie said...

Hmmmm...Justin?.....Mark?

I wonder who you mean?

:^)

Kaethe said...

There's a little more pressure with youngsters around, but I feel much the same way. The grandmothers were all hot to have everything done before Thanksgiving. Bleh. I like Christmas, but I don't want to draw it out into months.

Luckily, I've got that free 2nd-day shipping at Amazon.

Anonymous said...

It just means your expectations for the season have become reasonable instead of out of control. I asked the kids this year if they'd mind if I didn't go whole-hog decorating the house, and they looked at me like I was nuts. They couldn't care less. Here all this time I was groaning and moaning to put up a bunch of decorations that no one cared about. This year, I just put up a few things that I really, really like; it was quick, easy, it's pretty, and that decorating stress is nonexistent.

Rooie said...

I gave up on decorations years ago. Even though Mr. Pointy Sticks is Jewish, he was raised having Christmas trees, but he wasn't wild about them. I used to push to get one, he'd help set it up but then I'd do all the decorating and all the undecorating. And one year I was complaining and Rachel said, basically, "Then why do it? I don't really want one."

And I went from decorating my own wreaths, to buying wreaths with ribbons to slap up, to no wreaths.

Heh, I think I must have about the least stressful Christmas you can have without being comatose.