Sunday, December 16, 2007

Really, I'm Not Obsessing...

...but I remembered another cool thing we had at Christmas. Perhaps not every Christmas, but more than once. In the bottom of our stockings we would find these balls made of wound up strips of crepe paper. They were about the size of a Christmas ornament, I guess. And you would start unwinding the paper and as you unwound it you found little charms and doo-dads. I can't remember much of what we found, though I think one year one of us got a little tiny working compass. Of course, you couldn't sell them now because of the choking hazard.

Which leads me to charms we used to get out of gumball machines. Now they used to be so cool. We had a set of magnetic Scotties, black and white. I remember a stoplight with jeweled lights. An odd clown in a sort of blend of gray and flesh colored plastic. He was posed in a ring, like Leonardo's Vitruvian man...not one of the better charms. My brother could probably remember a lot more of them. They were sacrificed in the move to Virginia, I think.

Oh God, I am getting old. Next thing you know I'll be yelling at the kids to get off my lawn.

The second mitt is well under way and the first one has all his little ends woven in. He looks much more complete now and nicer.

And the main bathroom is thoroughly cleaned. Ugh. My least favorite job. If only it would stay clean. But no...people insist on using it.

And in a bit I'll be starting this week's pot roast. Guess I'd better go start researching some recipes. My brother brought me our grandparent's old cast iron Dutch oven. Boy, is it handsome!

3 comments:

Miss T said...

Ohhh, I remember those little crepe paper balls! There was something very mysterious and special about them.

Rooie said...

I'm so glad someone else remembers them!

Kitt said...

I, of course, am focused on the dutch oven. Picture, please. You can make bread in it!