Monday, January 12, 2009

Yay! A Contest!...Oh Wait, I Can't Win It....

So, despite the fact that Amazon is thinking of building a warehouse next to my house, I order so many books from them, I still managed to mess up a recent order and ended up with not one, but two copies of a new book. Now, I could send it back to Amazon, confessing my stupidity. But, hey, that's no fun! So let's have a contest. Because it's a pretty cool book and I think there might be somebody out there who might be thrilled to get it.

I present....


Carol Sulcoski's Knitting Socks with Handpainted Yarns. So, who's in here? Well, Nancy Bush, Ann Budd, Veronik Avery, Priscilla Gibson-Roberts, and Charlene Schurch each have a pattern in here. And there are sixteen other designers, including Carol herself. But the real usefulness of the book comes from Carol's discussion of hand-painted yarns and how you can best exploit the beauty of the various types of yarns...types that she divides into three classes - Nearly Solids, Wild Multis and Muted Multis. It's a great book...and it might be yours! All you have to do is one simple thing.

Tell me how many buttons are in my button box. The number closest to the real number wins the book. Easy, right? I'll even give you some pictures:



And some hints -

Not everything in the box is a button.

This is a button box I started recently, not one that my mom had.

The box is not quite 4 inches deep.

Most of the buttons are on their cards but there are some loose ones at the bottom of the box.

Go to it!

Ooooh, edit! Edit! I forgot to say...let's let this contest run until next Monday, the 18th. At 5 p.m. EST.

Jeesh. I think I'd better read up on "How To Run A Contest."

45 comments:

Rowan Falar said...

Ooh! I'm the first!

I think that there are...about 126 buttons in your button box.

Did I win?

Chris said...

Oh dear. I'm really bad at guessing number of things in another thing. 142.

anna said...

I like to collect buttons too. My guess is 210 buttons. I would love to win that sock book.

Rooie said...

Rowan, we have something in common...besides knitting that is. I see from your profile that you're a Pratchett fan...I have every one of his books. Love him to bits.

cksknitter said...

I think there are 23!

Meg Wesley said...

I'm going to guess, about 35?

Unknown said...

I think there are 300 buttons in the box!

meemo0123 said...

I'm guessing there are 57

meemo0123 said...

I'm guessing there are 57 buttons

ssc said...

I'm gonna guess 56

Anonymous said...

I would love this book. I checked it out tonight and it's actually really cool.

That said, my guess is 82.

-LiquidPen on Ravelry.

Anonymous said...

How funny, can't resist to guess, 64 buttons is my guess.

Jenn said...

I think their are 154 buttons! :)

sheep#100 said...

I'll chime in with 112

Heide said...

Cute buttons! My guess is 87. Cheers.

CelticCastOn said...

i'm going to guess 54

Mary Lou said...

Seventy seven?

Shannah said...

I'm going for 20... it does look like a small box...

Is this like the Price is Right? The smallest number without going over? Oh, right, you just said the closest.

What fun!

limedragon :-: Harriet said...

I'll guess... 44 buttons (I like symmetry). I spied a few cute ones!! Thanks for the fun contest! : )

knitting chaos said...

I am going to guess 61 buttons.

knitting chaos said...

I am going to guess 61 buttons.

laurie said...

I haven't looked at the other guess's so I hope no one has picked
124

Anonymous said...

I'll go with 97.

Bunny Queen said...

There are some cool looking buttons visible in that box. I'll guess that there are 212 total.

Anonymous said...

Oh, let's say 99.

Catie said...

I guess 132 buttons are in your box (I hope no one else has guessed this amount yet - I looked but I may have missed it)

Alison said...

My guess is 39. Happy Knitting!

Anonymous said...

63.

5elementknitr said...

I'm going with 42!

Turtle said...

i just inherited my grams old button box and i so love it!

I was first going to guess 86 but i think that is too high, so 46 is my guess! A nice beginning! (and i see your loopy ewe samples!) This is a book on my wish list!

Ann said...

I'm going to say 123.

Seanna Lea said...

I'd say about 85, because so many of them are on cards and the box doesn't look full.

I got a box of buttons from someone as part payment for a couple of shawls I made for her last year. I am afraid to count how many buttons are in that box, which isn't as deep but has tons of loose (small) buttons.

ikisti said...

humm how many buttons.... 116 that sounds like a good number

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot of buttons. The fact that you have enough to warrant something called a "button box" is impressive.

How about 38?

Anonymous said...

Hmm, a lot of them are still on cards . . . I'll guess 72 buttons.

Melanie said...

I'm guessing 92.

Obsidian Kitten said...

hmmm...sounds so easy, yet so hard! lol

246

Jeanne said...

117

As a guess - Thanks for the contest, and the possiblity of book winning!

Tabby said...

52.

wenat said...

I'm going to guess 78 buttons. What a great idea for a contest!

Anonymous said...

I say there's 37 buttons in that box! :)

I really have to start a button box soon... I'm starting to have a little collection strewn all over the place.

Life's a Stitch said...

44?

ikkinlala said...

67?

Kitten With a Whiplash said...

My guess is 162 buttons. I really like those leaf shaped ones. WOder what they;'ll wind up on? A nice cowl for autumn?

sjohnson318 said...

My guess is 84 buttons. :-)