Sunday, August 17, 2008

The World's Easiest Blueberry Pie

So I am, as I type this, chomping down on a piece of blueberry pie. Blueberry pie from heaven. Not only is it wonderful, it requires no baking so you don't heat your kitchen all up. Want the recipe? I thought you might. And darn, I wish I could throw in a picture. I'll just have to make another one when my camera is hooked up again.

First, you buy a graham cracker crust. You'll also need blueberries, enough to fill the crust, level with about the edge. You'll need some red currant jelly, some sour cream and some brown sugar.

Wash the berries and let them dry...you may even want to pat them a bit with a paper towel. You want to make sure they won't get the crust all soggy. Pour them into the shell.

Empty the jar of red currant jelly into a saucepan and heat on medium until it's melted. Pour it over the berries. Pop the pie shell into the fridge for a couple of hours to set up. Just before serving, spread the top with a layer of sour cream (I used most of a 16 ounce container and probably would have used all of it except that Rachel doesn't like sour cream that much) and sprinkle with brown sugar -- eh, several tablespoons, I guess. Serve. Keep chilled until it's gone.

I couldn't find red currant jelly today in SuperFresh so I tried red plum jelly. It was every bit as good as the currant. You could maybe use apple jelly, too. I wouldn't try jalapeno, though.

No comments: