Sunday, December 7, 2008

Happy Sunday Evening

You know that by now on a typical Sunday evening I would be whining about work. (Hey. I like my new job but it still requires getting up at 6:30 every weekday morning.)

But tomorrow I have off, la la, and am actually planning to have a little fun. I think I'll go over to the Paint-It-Yourself pottery place and do a new food dish for Duncan, as his last one broke. And perhaps I'll have lunch at Yamato.

Now, of course, I could just get up and decide to do nothing but stay home and read and knit. That's the joy of a day off.

Had a nice Saturday. My brother and his sweetie and I went to a cookie walk at a local church. Actually, early Saturday morning I woke up from a dream about the cookie walk (this is an event where you walk around a room choosing from a vast array of home-baked cookies and then pay up at the end) and in the dream I found someone selling Welsh currant cookies. And that made me very happy because my mom always made Welsh currant cookies at Christmas time and they were one of my favorites. And, since Mom died in 2006...no currant cookies. (And yes, I could make them myself except that my skills with the griddle? Not so hot.)

And then I woke up and felt sort of sad because the dream made me miss my Mom.

Off we go to the cookie walk and I got to the place where you start choosing cookies and what was there?! A nice woman selling bags of freshly made Welsh currant cookies! I bought two bags. And the gentleman behind me was speaking Welsh to her, to these cookies are the real deal!

Then we went off to Towson University ceramics department's sale. We've gone every year for some years and I was planning to get a Christmas present or two...but it was pretty sad this year. It was much smaller and the work for sale seemed...of lower quality. Warped mugs and bowls where the bottom was separating from the sides. Mistakes, in other words.


I didn't buy anything there. There wasn't anything that tempted me at all.

I went home then and Mr. Pointy Sticks and I headed out for Cross Keys to do a little shopping. We went to the Store Ltd, which is just an amazing shop. They've got gorgeous stuff there and I don't know why I didn't take more pictures. I did see this glassware and fell in love with the pieces.


It's hard to see here, but they have different, abstracted botanical designs etched on them. There were some small ones that were meant to be votive candle holders but I bought four to use as little wine glasses. I got some other stuff there, too.

We had lunch at the Village Square cafe. I can't recommend it. We waited 25 minutes or more for a BLT and chicken salad sandwich and watched people who came in after us get served before us. We finally flagged down a waitress and asked her about our order, or I think we would have been sitting there still. The BLT was so-so and I found a stray thread in it. So, all in all, not a high point.

But we left there and headed up Falls Road to the Purple House Bakery. Where did it get its name? Well....


We got some yummies to take home. A pot de creme au chocolat and a slice of Opera cake.


And we went into The Ivy Bookshop and had a little browse. Stopped at Eddie's Supermarket for some tasty salads and home in the snow flurries. With very tired feet.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Thank you for sharing your memories about Welsh currant cookies. I'm glad you found some. They're a tradition in my family, too, though we usually just call them Welsh cookies. A few years ago I tackled the family recipe on my own. It was labor-intensive, but the results were very worthwhile.