Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Tuesdays Should Be Outlawed

I really dislike Tuesdays. The memories of the past weekend are fading fast and there is still a long uphill slog until the next one. Plus, I always stay up too late on the weekends, reading or knitting or playing with my DS (that's Nintendo DS, not Dear Son) and yes, I do it to myself. And I can get through Monday okay but the lack of sleep really hits me on Tuesdays. Tuesdays are rough. Of course, if they outlawed them, I'd just feel that way about Wednesdays, I guess.

Rachel has had three of her four classes and will be dropping one - a history class - and (I hope) picking up something else...with luck, an art class. Says her Intro to Lit class seems like it is going to be really good. So, fingers crossed, things seem to be settling into place in Fredericksburg. And boy, I hate typing Fredericksburg. Perhaps I'll just start calling it Fred. "How are things in Fred?"

So, knitting wise - still stitching away on the pink mohair. Still stitching away on the Oak Leaf scarf. I don't know how some knitters manage to pile up finished objects so quickly. I'll have to work on that.

Oh, and my latest knitting stupidity? I have some yarn, bought on our trip to Maine last summer, that is destined to be a hat for my brother's girlfriend, S. (I don't know if she would want me to use her name and I'm tired of typing "my brother's girlfriend" (Give me a break! I'm having to type Fredericksburg!) so I am going to call her S.) So I sat down the other evening and made a nice big test swatch. They were over for the evening recently and I showed S. the swatch so that she could see and feel how it was going to work up. She liked it, so as we all sat and chatted I ripped back the swatch (I'm too cheap to keep my swatches) and rewound the yarn. And then? Realized that I. hadn't. measured. the. gauge! So...I think a new swatch is in my future. I think I am going to adapt the Hannah hat from Magknits...a hat I recently made for Rachel...into a hat for S. No opening for a ponytail, but a seed stitch band and then a crown rising out of that band. Some buttons for decoration, perhaps. Should be cute. I hope.

We had a great talk, though, about movies. Started out with the funniest movies we knew of (Galaxy Quest, The Gold Rush, What's Up Tiger Lily?, Jacque Tati's movies (Mon Oncle in particular - God, I love that movie), old Peter Sellers movies, Buster Keaton.) But then my brother and I started talking about the movies that our parents used to take us to when we were small. It we would frequently (or at least it seems frequent in memory) drive into downtown Baltimore to see movies like Mon Oncle or Mr. Hulot's Holiday. Or The Notorious Landlady. La Belle Américaine). Alec Guinness movies like The Lavender Hill Mob or Kind Hearts and Coronets. I always felt so grownup on those evenings. It seemed so sophisticated to me, to be going out to "grownup" movies with my parents. (And I remember being shocked by a scene in The Notorious Landlady where Jack Lemmon barges into a room...and Kim Novak was in the bathtub! She was well covered with bubbles, but I can remember my feeling of "Oh my gosh, he's in her bathroom! And she's in the bathtub!!") And the theaters were so pretty. There I go, waxing nostalgic again. (Nostalgic is very shiny in our house these days.)

And don't get me started on how special it was to go out for a Chinese dinner at Jimmy Wu's.

No comments: