Saturday, January 26, 2008

A Tale of Two Scarves

But first...I've promised you yarn pictures. So here you go. First up, the Beaverslide:



Coral Bells in the front, Rosehips in the back. These pictures are so much better than the ones I tried to take inside. Aren't those colors luscious?!

Then, the box I got from Webs. It had in it some Zenith by DiVe.


The pink and black are to make piggie mittens. The yellow will probably be a scarf. This is a lovely, squooshy, fat merino yarn. Yummy.

And I got some Twize to play with.


(Not the best picture for which I apologize. It was cold out on the Front Porch of Photography this morning and I was working fast!) This is gray and pink.

Finally, more yummy alpaca.


I ordered some in just red shades a while back ("Oh, have you used that all up already?!" "No. Shut up.") and I couldn't resist the red and purple blend. So soft and nice.

Now, the tale of the scarves.

Cyn, of Half-Assed Knit Blog, she who talks me into Happy Fun Boxes of Yarn, designed this gorgeous scarf, Serpentina, and knit it up in some Elann Incense in a beautiful glowing red. I had some Incense, too, thanks to the aforementioned Happy Fun Box, but mine is a soft turquoisey green and I didn't think it was crying out to be Serpentina. Besides I wanted to try a different yarn.

Which is how I ended up starting not one but two Serpentinas.

The first one I started is made from a Filatura di Crosa yarn called Portofino. It's not exactly variegated...it is made up of many fine threads in shades of green and yellow, bound by a shiny variegated thread. Now, I have to say that I haven't, even on the Front Porch of Photography in clear daylight, been able to take a good picture of this scarf. I swear it looks somewhat better in person than it does in these photos. But you can see that the stitch pattern is somewhat....obscured...in this yarn. It has a nice scrunchy feel and I think I'll continue it (right now it's on a holder because I needed to use the needles).

The second one I started from the Golden Ochre Mmmmmmalabrigo that I bought up at The Black Sheep a couple of weeks ago. And oh, it is so pretty! So soft! The stitch pattern so clear!

Just look:


And some close-ups:


Portofino - crisp, crunchy. A sort of springtime scarf.


And the Malabrigo....ahhhh. Look at those plump little stitches. I just want to pinch their little cheeks. And so soft. Ah, Malabrigo. You own my heart.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I looooooooooooove Malabrigo. Have you seen their laceweight yet?

Rooie said...

Not yet. I'm sort of scared to. I don't need a new strain of Malabrigo addiction.

Unknown said...

That green is luscious!