Monday, July 27, 2009

I'll Just Sit Here In The Dark...

We had one of the most powerful thunderstorms I think I’ve ever been in yesterday afternoon. The weather had been oppressive all day and my sinuses were killing me, so I figured we had a storm heading our way. About 4 p.m. Mr. Pointy Sticks and Don, his running buddy, headed out and about 10 or 15 minutes later the storm hit. I think the center of it must have gone right over our neighborhood. At one point, Rachel and I were standing at the front door looking out and could not see the houses across the street, the rain was so heavy! It was a complete white-out. Or wet-out. We had hail and there was lightning hitting all around. In fact, the tree in Maureen’s back yard (my friend across the street) was hit and caught on fire. They had lines down in their back yard, too. I was worried about Mr. Pointy Sticks but he and Don showed up safe and sound…though wringing wet.

Rachel and I had just started cooking dinner when the power went, so Don headed home and called and told us the power was on at his house and to come on up. We headed up there and cooked our pasta and made our dinner and shared it with Don.

Electricity is still out as of 10:30 this morning. And of course, I did grocery shopping yesterday and the fridge and freezer are full up with stuff that will probably end up getting thrown out. Le sigh.

But we're safe and lost no trees...not even any large limbs, though there were plenty down all around us. So I shouldn't complain.

No comments: