Saturday, July 18, 2009

Costume Party

My grandparents were, I think, pretty happy people. (Of course, who really knows? They seemed happy. And I hope they were. They sure made me happy.) My grandfather was sort of a prankster. I remember once he got my grandmom pretty good. She hated mice...and any signs of mice. One day she found what she thought were mouse droppings in a kitchen drawer. She called my grandfather and he came into the kitchen. "Hmmm," he said, "they look sort of large for mouse droppings." He picked one up, which my grandmother wasn't happy about, sniffed it and, then....oh horrors!...tasted it. "No," he said, "I think that might be rat." Well, my grandmother was fit to be tied until Pop started laughing. Turns out the "droppings" were burned match heads that Pop had planted in the drawer.

And here, though they don't look particularly happy, they are ready to go to a costume party.

Wonder whose clothes those were originally?

They look a little happier here, ready to hit the road in Pop's motorcycle.


And, just to prove that some of the people in the family still like costumes...little Rachel in her much beloved "Mickey Mousch" ears.

2 comments:

Oh, Brother said...

Her hat and undoubtedly the closest she'll ever get to a motorcycle, too!

Life's a Stitch said...

Sweet photo with the ears.