Friday, September 28, 2007

Needle Exchange

Exchanging 4's for 7's, that is. I started my ISE scarf yesterday evening while listening to/glancing at Without A Trace and did a full repeat of the pattern on size fours. This was going to make a seriously skinny scarf, even with the four extra stitches I added on either side. Re-examining it in the cold light of day, I decided that it really ought to be on larger needles. (Though the yarn label calls for 3-5, I think it may always be a good idea to go bigger when you are doing lace.) I would have gone up to 6's but I didn't have any of those in my bag. So 7's it is.

It's still going to be a skinny scarf. (My brother thinks all my scarves are too skinny. This one is even skinnier.) But unless I double the pattern or make the edges unproportionately wide, I think this is the way it's going to have to be. I sort of wish now that I had done a slip-stitch edge but I've knit about 12 rows on the new needles and I don't want to rip it out again. The yarn seems a little delicate and I don't want to man-handle it too much.

Currently Reading

So, last night I got into bed and realized that the Boyd stories were in the living room. So I picked up The Yiddish Policeman's Union because it was right there on top of one of the bedside stacks (yes, I said "one of the bedside stacks") and I've gotten rather sucked back into it. So it came to work with me. I do like Michael Chabon...I never should have let this one sit for so long.

And yes, this means that I am still putting off Red Skies. If only I had so much self-control when it came to eating (or, my daughter would add, buying "string").

No comments: