Friday, September 21, 2007

Hurrah for Friday!

I am so glad Friday's here. No plans for the weekend, really, except for the usual grocery-shop-scrape-soap-
scum-off-bathroom-wash-some-clothes-stare-in-horror-at-the-
various-piles-of-crud kind of plans. This evening we are going over to my aunt and uncle's for dinner, so we'll have a fun Friday evening at least (for a certain definition of fun). (By which I mean that we'll have fun, though I'm sure it'd seem pretty low-key to most people.)

One of my Charlottesville cousins is visiting and it'll be good to see her again. After my mom died, we (my brother, my husband and I) were back and forth a lot to semi-pack up, sell, and then empty the house and take care of business matters. And we saw my cousins down there a lot. I miss them and now it seems strange not to see them as often. So I am glad ML will be up for the weekend.

ML is the aunt of the cousin (okay, first cousin once removed) I'm knitting the scarf for. Maybe I'll ask her opinion - fringe or no fringe? (I usually don't fringe my scarves. The fringe just seems to always look messy. But there is the school of thought that says that a scarf looks unfinished without fringe. I think if I do put fringe on this one, I'll make a fancy knotted fringe.)

Currently Reading

I just finished Haven Kimmel's The Used World. I wish I were better at talking about books. I'll just say that I loved it. Her characters are quirky without being caricatures, good people with flaws, loving and lovingly described. There were lines and conversations that made me laugh out loud and the book left me a little teary-eyed but happy. What more can you ask?

And I don't know what'll be the next book I grab. I am sort of thinking of starting Scott Lynch's Red Seas Under Red Skies next...but I'm afraid. See, I loved Lynch's first book, The Lies of Locke Lamora, a big sprawling adventure with some touches of fantasy. It was just so much fun! And what if this sequel isn't as good? Oh, I know it won't be the end of the world, but as long as I'm not reading it yet, it is potentially as good, or better, than the first book. Once I start it, the die is cast. How quantum of me.

Of course, I could pick up and finish Michael Chabon's The Yiddish Policeman's Union. I started that quite some time ago and set it aside for some reason. I was enjoying it, so it wouldn't be onerous to take it up again. And that would keep Red Seas in its quantumly wonderful state for a little longer.

No comments: