Saturday, November 13, 2010

Road Trip!

It was a beautiful day today for a special trip, so Mr. Pointy Sticks and I headed off to Philadelphia.


Why Philly? Well, I heard that some pretty special people were going to be at Loop, which I had heard was a pretty nice yarn shop. Who were the people? Well...

Franklin Habit and Carol Sulcoski! Woot!

So I carted up Carol and Franklin's books to get them signed...as well as my second "It itches" sweatshirt that Mr. Pointy Sticks gave me for my birthday. (He was afraid that I wouldn't be able to find my original "It itches" shirt in time for the visit.) And I got to meet both of them and chat for a while. And I was able to check out Loop, which indeed is a very nice yarn shop.

And I did manage to find some yarn to buy...quelle surprise. Carol, who is the personification of Black Bunny Fibers, had her entire inventory there. I sort of wanted to roll around in it. I brought home two skeins and am sort of regretting leaving a couple of the skeins there. I also got a couple of skeins of yarn to make this nice cowl that was a free pattern on Loop's blog. And I got my hands on Steven West's book, which has some interesting and lovely stuff.

Loop has Koigu and I went in fully expecting to buy myself a couple of skeins and once again, I was struck by the dreaded Koigu Paralysis...there are so many pretty colors and color-combinations that I just can't decide...I fondle them and find matching dye lots and waffle about..and then put them all back on the shelf and walk away. Just overload.

Mr. Pointy Sticks and I walked around the neighborhood a bit...interesting and nice-looking place.

One neat thing about Loop...it's next door to Spool, which is a sewing shop, affiliated with Loop. And Spool is managed (maybe both of them are...I'm not sure) by the daughter of my brother's best friend...a guy we've know since I was born. He was born on the same day as my brother, and we always called them the twins. They've known each other since kindergarten, I think, so I've known Don since I can remember. In fact, when I was a little girl I told my mom that I would have to marry my brother when I grew up. "Why do you think you're going to have to marry your brother?" Mom asked. "Because the only boys I know are Don and Wayne [another friend of my brother's] and they don't like me!"

Anyway, long story short...we got to meet Don's daughter (and jeez, she looks like her grandmother...I would have known her anywhere) and she was really nice. Showed us around both stores and gave us directions home.

I actually ended up winding one of the skeins up as I rode home.


And I may just have cast on.

Unfortunately I had to take it apart and then it was too dark to restart...so I'll try again later.

Nice day, and I have the best husband in the whole world.

1 comment:

Julie Kwiatkowski Schuler said...

Lucky! I really wish there were a yarn shop anywhere within a day's drive!