Friday, November 12, 2010

Happy Veter[inari]an's Weekend

Had to take the cats to the vet yesterday. Duncan was not happy about it. The minute he saw the carry-case come out he lit off for the hills. We were chasing him all over the house and finally had to poke him out from under our bed from whence he dashed back to the living room and then the dining room where Mr. Pointy Sticks finally hauled him out from under the dining table.

Then we had to get him into the carrier...while he spread out his toes as wide as they could go and clung on to the outside edge of the carrier. Finally got him contained and out to the car. We had gotten Giz into his case before we tackled Duncan.

Well, Duncan yowled all the way to the vet. W- w-w-w-w-w-o-o-o-o-w-w-w-w! W-h-h-h-r-r-r-r! M-i-i-a-a-o-o-o-w-w-w-w! Fortunately, it's a short ride. I tried to get a picture of him but every time I turned around with the camera he would just shut up and glare at me.

Once we got there, and into the exam room, he was the perfect gentleman.


He sat next to Mr. Pointy Sticks and waited while they examined Giz.

Gizmo sat on the exam table and buried his head in my armpit (hence, no pictures). I think he feels that if he can't see the vet, the vet can't see him. Nice try, Giz! They had to take him in the back for bloodwork...he's a little anemic but his kidney function is holding steady. We could hear him yowling from the back and Duncan's ears kept reacting...I think he identified the yowling as someone he knew. Sure seemed that way. They carried Giz back in, wrapped in a towel, hissing and growling. He was one angry cat. As soon as they put him down he made a beeline for the carrier...he was ready to leave.

(That's a small pack of Starburst in there with him. Heaven knows how it got there.)

Duncan has put on some weight and should probably lose a pound or two (shouldn't we all?). He's the size of a small pony...After his exam I picked him up and he clung onto my shoulder with all his strength.

It was a quieter trip home and the beasts are good for another year. Duncan was rather anti-social and testy for the rest of the evening. And this morning he jumped up on the bed for his morning skritch but instead of doing what he usually does...patting at me and then letting me skritch his head while he butts my hand and purrs and purrs...he jumped up, patted me awake and then stared at me and very deliberately turned his back on me and sat down. Fine...be that way!

In the knitting world, I've had some finishing...the first of a pair of socks for Rachel and a I-can't-show-you-yet Christmas present.

2 comments:

Cara dB said...

Amazing how ready they are to hop back into the carriers when it's time to leave the vet.

Rooie said...

Yeah, if Gizmo could have locked the carrier door behind him, he would have!