Saturday, July 24, 2010

Reading Roundup

Whoops...guess it's been a while since the last book update. I have 25 books to add to the list over there. Let me list some of the better ones.

Incarceron - A YA book, the first of a fantasy series that seems as though it's going to be pretty good. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

The Imperfectionists - This one has gotten a lot of great reviews, but I must have missed something because I thought it was sort of eh.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand - I loved this book. It reminded me of Angela Thirkell. The only bad thing about it? It made me sad because I would have loved to have shared this with my mom. I think she would have liked it. And then I got sadder thinking about all the books I'm going to miss reading when I'm dead. La la...Not sure the author intended that sort of reaction.

A Murderous Procession - The fourth in the Mistress of the Art of Death series, this one takes Adelia out of England. I thought this one was great.

Under Heaven - I love Guy Gavriel Kay's fantasy. This one didn't rate a star in my book...parts seemed a little draggy. But it was still good...lots of intrigue and court machinations going on.

As Easy As Falling Off the Face of the Earth - A wonder YA book from Lynn Rae Perkins. I love her books. This one is about a young boy who ends up wandering across the face of the Earth...well, at least a chunk of the US...and whose family is equally astray...until they all come together at the end.

The Passage - A new take on vampires. At least that's what the reviews have said. Reminiscent of Stephen King's The Stand...good scary fun.

Stories: All New Tales - Great selection of stories, all with a touch of fantasy.

The Nobodies Album - Liked this one a lot.

The Devil's Alphabet - A creepy little story.

The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet - I loved this book and I can't say exactly why...the setting was interesting, the characters real and well-rounded, the story exciting. Well, I guess that's why!

Kraken - Maybe not the best of China Mieville, but even so a haunting and eerie story, filled with beautiful and grotesque imagery.

No comments: