Monday, April 19, 2010

More Early Morning Thoughts

I woke up at 1:59 a.m. this morning and had a terrible time getting back to sleep. (On the plus side, when I did finally fall asleep, I had a nice dream about Popoo (my grandfather). We were sitting in someplace I didn’t know, sitting on a sofa I’ve never seen before, talking with and about a 3- or 4-year-old great-grand-daughter that Popoo never had (Amelia? Really?) but it was definitely my grandfather. I was holding his hand…he had, even though he worked outdoors, the softest, smoothest skin on his hands. Anyway, it was nice.)

Anyway, some more random night-time thoughts:

Wouldn’t it be handy if our arms were longer? I wonder why we haven’t evolved longer arms over the years. I mean, if our hands came down to our knees, say, it would be easier to pick up things you had dropped, easier to grab things off high shelves and (since I have a perpetually itchy back which is perhaps this is why this train of thought left the station), easier to scratch your own back all over.

And what if farts, instead of being stinky, were wildly colorful? Would we all be proud of them? “Whoa! Look at that shade of purple Abercrombie just produced!” Try to claim them in the elevator? Would we experiment with our diets for particular colors? Definitely some sayings would have to change, “She’s so snooty she thinks her farts are all pink!”

Fortunately for all of us, I fell asleep then.

And, completely unconnected to all that….people are funny. Someone on a forum I visit said in a discussion that a relative had “left her husband and taken another woman’s husband away from her.” Subsequently, this relative had been punched both by her ex and the ex-wife of her new man. And, asked the poster, “isn’t this violence terribly inappropriate?” Well, yes. But so is stealing another woman’s husband, something no one in the following discussion mentioned (perhaps because they didn’t want to get punched).

My May Red Scarf is bucketing along. I have less than one skein left to go. I have dug out another pair of semi finished socks to see if I can’t get them off the needles and onto my feet. I am sensing a return of the sock mojo…in part because I got a great book on Saturday. Perhaps I’ll do a little review of it this evening.

Don't all hold your breath, now.

No comments: