Monday, September 21, 2009

Disagreeing With The Yarn Harlot

I love Stephanie Pearl-McPhee but I have to say...today I think she's wrong.

I have her day-at-a-time calendar and today's entry says:

"Gandhi, that great man of nonviolence, maintained that every person should spin thread for 30 minutes a day. He had taken a vow to do so, and kept this vow even while in prison. Gandhi believed that the practice of quiet, structured, peaceful work would promote those same qualities in the people who did it, and I think he was right. I have trouble imagining war in the world if all soldiers and their commanders had to take 30 minutes out of their day for peaceful, productive, comtemplative work. I believe knitting would serve this purpose perfectly."

I dunno...there are plenty of times that my knitting has made me want to kill something.

1 comment:

Daniel N said...

"I dunno...there are plenty of times that my knitting has made me want to kill something."

Heheheheh!

Gandhi's idea about soldiers knitting reminds me of the saying that wonders what the world would be like if schools had all the money they needed and the air forces had to sell cookies to buy new bombers.