Sunday, January 6, 2008

Move On...Nothing to See Here

We are busy getting Rachel ready for school and, when not doing that, not doing much in particular. Her friend Nicole came over yesterday and we got a trip in to Target and all went out to dinner at Yamato and did a quick dash into Borders. (I got Clara Parkes' Book of Yarn for $10 off, as I had a Border's rewards coupon. And I picked up T Is For Trespass, since it was 30 percent off.)

Oh, and I broke a tooth Friday night, so it looks like there is another crown in my future. I wasn't blogging the year I broke a tooth, had it fixed with just a massive filing, broke another one a week later, had a root canal and crown, and about a month later, broke yet another tooth for yet another root canal and crown. The first tooth was broken on a pretzel, but the third one was broken when I was eating a slice of bread! I think I paid for my dentist's boat that year. (I love my dentist and I don't think he even has a boat.) So here we go again. At least it's not painful.

Current Reading

I've not said anything much about my current reading because I wasn't thrilled by it. I am stuck in Joe Lansdale's A Thin Dark Line and also in Peter Straub's In The Night Room, which I actually think I might have struggled through before but can't remember enough to be sure about it. But I think I have. Anyway, I wasn't really enjoying either one and so didn't want to list them...I mean, I'll list books I've read and didn't like but these two are just not engaging me at all. I'm about a third of a way through both of them and I really don't feel as though I am reading anything.

But last night I picked up Matt Haig's The Dead Father's Club and I gulped that down in one evening. It's about Phillip, who is eleven and whose father appears to him as a ghost, accusing Phillips' uncle of killing him. It's written in Phillip's very distinctive voice and I have to say, I really liked it. The ending is not neat and tidy, so if that sort of thing bothers you, don't try it.

And this morning I started Richard Ford's The Sportswriter. I really enjoyed an interview that we heard with him and thought I'd give this a try. Only about 100 pages in so far.

5 comments:

becky c. said...

Gotta love the Target! I am a reading fiend ever since Christmas - I just started The Nine about the supreme court. Really interesting!

Mary Lou said...

I broke a crown on a toasted cheese sandwich right before Christmas. I have spent gazillions on my teeth. The good news -- the dentist looked at it and said it was too recent to have broken and they would replace it for free. That was a nice Christmas present!

Rooie said...

I gave my Dad Supreme Conflict for Christmas, which is another new one about the Supremes. You know, in case you want to read even more about them.

Yeah, this is just an old tooth....I think I'll be out of pocket on this one. But that was nice of your dentist.

Kaethe said...

So Phillip is a young Hamlet? That is so up my readerly alley.

Rooie said...

Yes, if Hamlet was eleven and a schoolboy in England.

Heh. And it just clicked in the shower this morning that his girlfriend is named Leah, as in Ophe-leah. And her brother is named Dane.

I think you'd like this one, Kaethe, and I'd like to hear your take on it.