Thursday, January 24, 2008

Happy Birthday, Big Brother!

You're still older than I am. Nyah, nyah. And my being sick has screwed up your getting your birthday present from our father and I'm sorry about that. Still...it's your birthday! Enjoy!

I am back at work today after two days off with what I think would be called bronchitis if I had actually seen a real doctor to identify it instead of visiting WebMD and reading a check list of symptoms. But it doesn't seem all that bad...no raging fever, no wheezing, so here I am. I still have a cough that could frighten small children and animals, but there's a dearth of those here at work, so it's all good.

I actually got half of my Tuesday order from Amazon yesterday (man, order Tuesday, get books Wednesday...not too shabby...in fact, it felt sort of like magic) but of the next two George R.R. Martin's I ordered, this shipment included only the third volume...the second is still to come (today, I hope). So that was tantalizingly unsatisfactory. The third one is a big honker, though, so I can fondle the pages and look forward to it.

Current Reading

In the meantime, though, after finishing The Crazy School (good...not great), I started reading Theodora Goss' In the Forest of Forgetting. It's a collection of short stories that I guess would be call slip-stream....some of them are just slightly off from reality. Beautifully written (though I've found some typos that always pull me out of the narrative a bit). She has a website, though I haven't really looked at it yet other than linking here.

1 comment:

Tabby said...

Sorry you haven't been feeling well. I've had a cold this week, too. An honest to god, streaming cold. Apparently people who have a cold every couple of years live longer than those who don't. It's the way the body clears out all the cobwebs, I guess. Anyway, hope you feel better soon.