Thursday, February 7, 2008

Son of Serpentina

I am knitting away on the green Serpentina that I started a while back. (I should really be working on S.'s hat but I seem to have left the fourth dp needle at home...which makes it hard to work on.) I have modified it somewhat. The original Serpentina is made up of blocks of the viney stitch set apart by little blocks of stockinette. With the green one, I've made the first little block and the little stockinette section and now I am just madly vining along with no stockinette inserts. Then at the end I plan to mirror the beginning. Just to make this one a little different.

I'm not a big fan of this yarn, I can tell you that. (It's Portofino by Filatura di Crosa, purchased at Webs.) The nylon binder thread throws a hissy fit at the slightest provocation, going all frazzy and sticking out all over. I should really be working this on bamboo needles, too, instead of these very slippery aluminum ones, but of the umpteen-hundred pairs of size 8 knitting needles I own, do you think I have any in bamboo? No.

On the plus side, though, the finished fabric feels delightfully drapy and slinky. Like a real serpent.

I'll try to add some pictures this evening. And...here they are:



Jumpy, the Gotch-Eyed Cat meets Son of Serpentina



S's Hat, guarded by the Axolotl of Warm Ears

I am all excited thinking about the entrelac class on Saturday. I think I'm going to treat myself to some pretty Noro, probably Kureyon but perhaps Silk Garden.

Current Reading

I finished up Midnight Cab this morning. It was...okay. It was a page-turner up till the end and then started feeling a little flat to me for some reason.

So now I'm going to start the third George R. R. Martin, A Storm of Swords. I am almost tempted to peek at the end to see if my favorite characters make it through this next volume.

No comments: