Wednesday, April 27, 2011

I'm Weak

I have been working on a pair of socks for Rachel forever...well, it would be fairer to say that I have been carrying them around forever. I did the first one relatively quickly, considering that it is covered in little teeny tiny winchy little cables.


Like so:


And then I, somewhat more slowly, did the second one up to the heel turn. And there it sat. It had been so long since I did the first that I needed to check the pattern and see how to do it. But I kept forgetting to do that. I'd get home in the evening and go on to other things...and then, in the morning, as I grabbed all my bags to head off to work I'd think, "Dang! I need to check that pattern!"



But this past weekend I did finally did dig the necessary book out. And I got the heel turned and the heel flap mostly done at lunch on Monday. And now I just have to work all those teeny tiny winchy little cables up the leg. I never want to see another cable. At least, not for a while. I can get one complete repeat of the pattern done during our commute. If I manage to make myself do that every day for a while, I should be finished the sock...oh, in 2013 or so. No, I could be done sometime next week.


(The white paperclip serves as my cable needle. I don't use the cabling-without-a-cable-needle trick on socks because those little stitches slither away like quicksilver.)

But they are coming along. Two repeats done today on the rides to and from work.


Which is good, because today during lunch I started these for myself.

Hey, I've got piles of gorgeous sock yarn staring at me accusingly. I'm weak. I succumbed.

And look! They look like jellybeans!


Since I like making bright stripy yarn like this into simple vanilla socks, they should go quickly.


Which is good because, as I said, I have bags full of sock yarn waiting for me.

These photos were taken on the Front Porch of Photography under this sky:

There are tornado warnings out for most of Maryland. The risks I take for my blog.

No comments: